Monday, March 30, 2015

Week 10

Once upon a time, there were two girls who decided to serve missions. They were sent to the south and when put together in the little town of Amite, a kindly Pastor asked them to preach on the radio one Sunday afternoon.
And it was AWESOME.
So that is what happened yesterday! Pastor Marylin Dixon had us give "a word" on WABL radio station with her. Since it was Palm Sunday, we were to preach on the resurrection, and we were able to talk about the atonement and eternal families and it was so so fun! It was a miraculous opportunity to share the restored gospel with a larger audience (well, it's a small radio station and I am pretty sure most of the audience was my family and Sister Groesbeck's family back at home, haha) but it gave us both a lot of confidence.
Thanks again to everyone at home who listened. The first thing I did afterwards was go look at hymnbook and check the lyrics for "I Stand All Amazed". (Pastor Dixon asked me to sing on the spot over the radio, and the first song that came to mind was "I Stand All Amazed". I was like "uh ok" and so I sang the first verse and she asked me to keep going but I forgot the words halfway through the second verse, which was majorly awkward. But actually it worked out fine, I think.)
This week, our less-active friend Tanya let us help her make homemade tortillas and they were amazing. She isn't from the south and she says all the time "I like southern food, but the kind that you find below the border." She is Mexican and makes tasty food from all parts of the world.
I did find a southern delicacy that I do not like (oysters, fried or raw) but I had crawfish twice in the last week and half. Properly made crawfish are spicy and messy, and they are pretty good. Looking at cooked whole crawfish freask me out though.
Don't forget about General Conference this coming weekend! It's going to be so awesome to hear our prophet and apostles once again! Prepare for a spiritual feast. :)
We were unfortunately unable to see Fanny, our Chinese investigator this week, but we talked on the phone with her and I am still confident that she wants to progress in the gospel, she is eager! We clearly spent a lot of time with Pastor Dixon and oh my gosh I almost forgot the best part of this week.
SO on Thursday Pastor Dixon calls to invite us to "Spring Revival" at her tiny little church  and we we got permission and decided to go. A spring revival is a meeting at a church in order to renew people and try and bring them back. There was a guest preacher and he was exactly what you would imagine a southern preacher to be like. He was singing and praising from the pulpit, just going and going and saying "amen" at least twice in every sentence. There were a lot of "hallelujahs" and it was a very very interesting experience to say the least. She invited us as her evangelists and we were sitting at the front with her the whole time and then we had to leave a little early for curfew. Missionary life, y'all.
Y'all this week was crazy and very interesting. I learned a TON and my brain hurts a little . We are looking forward to trying to make more progress with our investigators this week and seeing more progress.
Don't forget to check out HeLives.mormon.org and watch the video. It's awesome. Never forget that we have a Savior who lives today and loves us. Because He lives I can live forever with my family and that is truly one of the greatest blessings I have because of this restored gospel of Jesus Christ.
Have a blessed week, hope to hear from y'all soon!
Much love,
Sister Ellen Frederickson

No comments:

Post a Comment