If you are not aware, violence, protests and other things have been running rampant in America. Baton Rouge is no exception and given that part of our area is in a particularly unsafe part of Baton Rouge, Friday morning our mission president evacuated us to Hammond (back to the homeland haha) with the Sister Training Leaders, who live in Hammond with the Hammond Sisters. (this was a winner of a situation because I got to see my trainee, Meador who is serving in Hammond now). We are still in Hammond now - and it is unknown to us as to when we will be allowed to go back. So that's been crazy. It's hard because we can't see any of these awesome people we are teaching. :( Pray for all these police officers who are working so hard. We drove back early Sunday morning for church and had to come straight back afterwards. It's been weird.
That being said, there isn't a lot to report on. We found a really cool couple last week right before we got evacuated, but other than that we have just been switching off with exchanges with the Hammond and Albany sisters. I have been able to see some beloved members in Hammond that I miss like crazy.
This week I have been reading a lot in Mark and 3 Nephi. Christ's teaching style is so interesting and I have been trying to take notes and learn how He teaches, so that I can be a better teacher.
This month I am spending quite a bit of time studying and praying about and for developing the gift of faith. It has been really cool so far. This morning, in Mark 4, I was reading about the time when Christ and some of His disciples were out on the sea and there was a storm. The Apostles were so concerned and couldn't understand how Christ could sleep through the whole thing. When he was awakened to calm the storm He simply said:
"Why are ye so fearful? how is is that ye have no faith?"
This really struck me to the core. Why should we fear in times of trial or times of trouble in the world in general? The natural man screams at us to be fearful and act accordingly. We should, in reality, turn to the giver of peace. It is never more important to continually build our faith than at this time right now. It's so simple! Turn to the scriptures - these people in the scriptures experienced these things and have helped us to understand how we can rely on the Lord.
Alright, I love you guys. If you are going to send me mail before I go home, send it to the mission office.
Otherwise, I will see you in 30 days!
Love,
Sister Ellen Frederickson
25367 Riverton Drive
Denham Springs, LA 70726
No comments:
Post a Comment