Following up from the craziness that was the MLK festivities last weekend, we were in Metarie, just on the other side of downtown NOLA, on Thursday for zone conference, and then we were on exchanges in Metarie with our Sister training leaders, who are spanish sisters, so I got to sit in on some Spanish lessons. Basically we were out of our area for about 48 hours this week, and then my companion was sick one day so we didn't accomplish a ton during the week, but this weekend was very productive. We had a lot to make up for. On Saturday, we got our investigator, Sonia, to a baptism in downtown NOLA at the building on St. Charles Street. Sonny D was baptized by the downtown elders (that's his nickname) and he loves the sisters, haha. He was happy to see us there. Anyway, it was a very spiritual baptism. Sonia felt the spirit so strong, but we are still having a hard time helping her to progress. She is going to get there though, someday! It's amazing how many people are totally prepared, but still are not completely ready to commit. I understand that what we ask them to do is a big leap of faith and a big change. The cool thing is, though, is that we aren't the only ones asking them to do it. The spirit is right there with us, helping to change people's hearts.
We are working with another less active family in the branch, and they have 3 teenage daughters. Needless to say, the household is a little loud/rambunctious and I love every minute of being over there. As a missionary, I really love to work with young adults and teenagers. It's easy to be real with them. I know how much the gospel changed my life, especially at certain points in my adolescence. Sometimes it's hard for them to see that, but I enjoy helping them. This family is kind of crazy and fun though, and they seem committed to returning. We are excited to see this happen.
Yesterday when we were walking in a neighborhood, we met a cool Honduran dude name Wilmer. He was real cool and right off the bat he said God was missing from his life, so we have sent the Spanish elders to go see him.
This next week we have a mission conference in Baton Rouge with Elder Rasband, one of our newer Apostles. I am really excited, I have really enjoyed his talks and hearing from him ever since I had to speak on his talk, "The Joyful Burden of Discipleship" in Sacrament meeting a couple years ago (assigned my by Dad, thanks Dad). I recommend the talk, and I am now taking any suggestions for questions to ask Elder Rasband! Shoot me an email if you have any good ideas. I have a couple of my own.
This whole month I have been studying obedience as my Christlike attribute. It was very convenient because I was asked to speak on obedience yesterday in our little branch. I really have come to love speaking in sacrament meeting. Don't ask me why. But I love sharing what I know to be true and I love having the opportunity to learn more about it. I really hope that doesn't go away after my mission. :) Anyway, one of the points from my talk has to do with our relationship with God. First, we recognize that our relationships with our parents are so blessed, they teach us, we are supposed to listen to them and and follow them because they love us and they have our best interest at heart. Our relationship with God, or our Heavenly Father, is not so different. He is literally our Father and He loves us, even more than our parents do, if you can even fathom that. He gives us rules and laws to be obedient to because He knows we need them. We can show our Heavenly Father how much we love Him by following Him, and obeying His commands. It's as simple as that. I know it to be true.
I love all of you! Have a great week. God bless!
-Sister Ellen Frederickson
2000 Despaux Drive Apt. C
Chalmette, LA 70043
No comments:
Post a Comment