Thursday, January 14, 2016

Week 46

(I'm squatting)
Yoooo sorry it's been a minute. But here I am, reporting live from Chalmette, Louisiana, just a few miles down the road from the Big Easy. We have our district meetings in a chapel on St. Charles street in downtown, and you can see the trolley pass by. Down the road are all those big famous houses people talk about. They really are beautiful. Today I am going to the French Market for the first time, and I am pumped! It's going to be good.
Anyway, I was shocked last week when I found out I was being transferred yet again. I really love Hammond and leaving was tough. It was also the third area on mission I closed for Sisters so I don't know what that is supposed to mean. 
My new companion is Sister Ririe from Phoenix, AZ. She is way cool, standing at 4'11". We make quite the pair, with me being nearly 5'8" now. But we have a good time. We are very busy and the branch we work in is still rebuilding from Katrina. Before Katrina, there was a full ward and a spanish branch here. The building was taken out and so for a long time, all the people in New Orleans had combined into one ward. Just 8-9 months ago the members in Chalmette and the surrounding areas formed a group, which is what leads into a branch. The group was still under the leadership of the New Orleans first ward, but met separately and had a group leader and stuff. In September, the group was able to form a branch, which has already doubled in size since then. At this rate, it will be a ward again in no time and they will be able to rebuild the church on it's old lot. I feel very privileged to be working here. NOLA is a whole new playing field as far as missionary work goes, too. It's WAY fun. 
We had an investigator, Gwen, at church on Sunday. She LOVED it. We are working with a couple families down here as well, they are really sweet people. Our hardest obstacle, as always, is getting people to church. But there is SO MUCH POTENTIAL FOR GROWTH HERE. It really makes want to double and triple our work efforts. There is so much to do all the time! Anyway, I would be happy to spend the rest of my mission here, honestly. 
I still can't believe I hit my year mark in 10 days, that's super weird. 
My favorite scripture from personal study this week was probably from 1 Nephi 1:20. If you pay attention and if you act obediently, you can see the tender mercies of the Lord everywhere. What a blessing!
I love y'all SO much.

address:
2000 despaux drive
apt. c
chalmette, LA 70043

Have a good week.
Sister Ellen Frederickson
 

No comments:

Post a Comment