Monday, December 8, 2014

hip, hip, hooray

A few years ago my parents took us to NYC for a week during spring break. Something about being in a big city was very appealing to me, so I really really enjoyed the trip and everything that NY had to offer. The only problem was that I didn't leave the city feeling comfortable with coming back. Let me explain myself better. It was only a week and my father was there so I didn't have to do much work as far as getting around. We used the subway system and walked a lot, and it was great. If I went back now though, I still wouldn't have any idea how to get around and everything would feel new all over again; it would still feel rather unfamiliar.
But London. London is a whole different story now. I think it was around the end of the second month that it really hit. There were those moments when someone would ask for directions and I realized I knew exactly what they were talking about and how I could direct them. I felt like a part of the city, but only a little bit. Living in a series of flats with 39 other American students kind of brings you back to reality: I'm here for school. This isn't my home. I won't live here again in my life, most likely. I love America. I love the people in America. BUT.
But. London is in me. London is with me, and it will never leave: the art, the shows, the food, the professors, the public transportation, the architecture, the people of London, Europe in general (Paris, Germany, Scotland, Wales, England). It is stuck with me forever and ever, amen. Really though. What I have learned here cannot compare to any time in life before. Nothing, and I mean nothing, can compare to the people I've met, though. The wonderful men and women I have had the absolute privilege to study with, eat with, live with. I have certainly made lifelong friends here, and that is the greatest blessing of all. I miss my family and friends quite a lot. There is no greater blessing than being in the presence of those you love, especially when you feel the love in return. And despite missing everyone at home so much, I have another family now, too. My London family. They will not be forgotten. Each and every one of them holds a special place in my heart, and I am not just saying this lightly. I mean it.
Returning to my earlier thought about NYC. While I may not know my way around NYC, London is a comfort zone now. If I ever have the opportunity to come back, everything will come flooding back. It will be comfortable and familiar, and yet, there will still be so much to discover and learn. I am SO grateful and I feel so blessed for being able to have these experiences.
Today, things really came to a turning point. At church, I teach in primary (young children) and at the end of class our primary president asked the children to give me and my friend, HeartLee, three cheers of "hip, hip, hooray." It was sweet and we said our goodbyes and I realized it was all over.
Someone said to me today that, "The only thing constant in life is change." Change. I guess there aren't a lot of constant things in this world. The constants are so wonderful, but so are the changes.
So here's to change and cherishing everything you have.

1 comment:

  1. I had similar feelings about my 6 months in France for a Study Abroad with 68+ others - most of us girls! But I didn't get back for over 25 years, so a lot had changed!! Glad you've had such a great experience!!

    ReplyDelete