Why am I telling you this? It all starts with a mission call.
In case you missed it, I am indeed going on a mission. I have been called to the Louisiana Baton Rouge mission. I've heard from many sources that I will be trying all kinds of exotic, local foods. Great! I like food and I like new things. However, something that came up multiple times was the word crawfish. When I hear the word crawfish I remember trying to catch squirmy, creepy critters in the creek near my house growing up. It is reminiscent of midwest summers spent in the humid sunshine with neighborhood friends: dashing through the sprinklers, devouring popsicles, building our dream homes with sidewalk chalk. Now that I've gone down memory lane, I'll return to my point. I've been told that crawfish are commonly eaten down south. For some reason it's hard for me to imagine eating such a creature. But. I'll try anything once.
On that same note, I want to express my joy at my mission call. Crawfish worries aside, I know with all my heart that this mission is right for me. Everyone has a different experience when it comes to going on a mission. Do I go? Do I decide not to go? Do I want to go? Am I emotionally prepared to go? Is my testimony of the gospel strong enough? Will I be homesick? Will I miss my homies? How do I know if it's right for me to go? What if I go and I find I am unable to handle it? What if I make a mistake when I teach? What if I offend someone? etc. The questions that run through my head on a daily basis begin with these and continue forever and ever.
Friends and family, I am not perfect. I do not know everything. If there is one thing I do know it is this. I am supposed to go on a mission, at this time (actually, in three months time). For some time after I knew this, that knowledge carried me. It was not desire. It was not need. It was pretty much my knowledge. That knowledge came from a deep trust in my Savior. He knows what is right for me and what I need to be doing better than I do. He knows me better than I know myself. So I trusted Him. I trusted that my faith and knowledge would grow into desire and interest. Let me be clear - at this point in time, I want nothing more than to serve for 18 months as an officially missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I was correct to trust in the Lord. He helped me to grow and build my testimony up to prepare to serve. I still occasionally doubt myself and my abilities to do the work. Like I said, I am not perfect. I testify to you that my Heavenly Father is, indeed, perfect. It is with His help and guidance that I am able to complete the task at hand. With Him, I can do the work. He does not ask me to teach and preach without giving me the necessary assistance and guidance. My Heavenly Father asks nothing of me that I am unable to do. He knows I am capable of this work. My trust in Him and His knowledge is enough for me to overcome any fears and doubts.
No comments:
Post a Comment